Solution: 21st Century Celluloid Man
Answer: ADAM SUTLER
Written by wolf, with art by lydian
This is meant to introduce a fairly ubiquitous puzzle type, the ISIS puzzle — Identify, Sort, Index, Solve. The clues all are fairly easy to Google, and the dataset is pretty famous, with a useful canonical ordering. These are descriptions of films that won the Academy Award for Best Picture in the 2000s, as clued by the title and flavortext. The stars clue how many letters are in the title and which letter to extract.
The films are given in alphabetical order:
- CHICAGO (2002): 5/7 → A
- MILLION DOLLAR BABY (2004): 8/17 → D
- MOONLIGHT (2016): 5/9 → L
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007): 16/18 → M
- PARASITE (2019): 3/8 → R
- SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE (2008): 1/18 → S
- SPOTLIGHT (2010): 9/9 → T
- THE DEPARTED (2006): 7/11 → A
- THE HURT LOCKER (2009): 5/13 → U
- THE SHAPE OF WATER (2017): 14/15 → E
The first letter of the descriptions spell out OSCAR YEARS. Sort by the award-winning year for each film to get the answer: ADAM SUTLER, from the 2005 film V for Vendetta.